Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,32 years diagnostic/repair experience all makes and models ,shop owner
13677702

I have a 2001 vw new beetle. 1.8 turbo. The air conditioner

Customer Question

I have a 2001 vw new beetle. 1.8 turbo. The air conditioner stopped working and we had it diagnosed. The Compressor and the pressure switch need to be replaced. so i have 2 questions. #1 What kind of compressor does my VW need (I see a couple different
options when i am price checking) and #2 can someone give me a price estimate on what the prices on both a used compressor versus a new one would be, and the price on the pressure switch, and then what an approxitmate total would be for labor. Im just trying
to get an idea of what the total is going to be for the repair and which compressor the bug needs so I can order the right part, if that is what I decide to do. I can supply you with the vin # ***** you like if that would help find which compressor is needed.
(on a side note, the freon isnt low and the the it was charged so there wont be any cost for that added to the total) Thank you for your time. Jess
Category: VW
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, yes, can you send the VIN #, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3VWCD21C41M464314
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Gathering information back as soon as possible

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Ok, lots to explain but hard in this type of format., right off? do o not get used compressor, you will not have warranty, most shops do not install used and they cant warrant and ,, they just are not good at times so,, new or reman, New compressor runs about $500 , used runs about 280-350 in my area depending on the brand, You have the SD7V16 compressor style. Labor? that is 2.1 hours for compressor, .3 for the switch , switch runs about $75 near me, and I highly recommend changing the drier which runs about $35 and .6 hours to change, No R 134 charge, will have an oil charge and evac and recharge fee so,, I can ONLy list our shop rates and sum this up, Your shop could use different labor $,

Compressor $300 +/- Labor = $168

Switch $75 Labor = $24

Drier $35 Labor = $48

Evac and reacharge = $79.95

PAG oil = $10 +/-

Shop fee = $25

Total as average in our shop NO R134?

$755.00

New compressor runs about $500 from dealer, Unsure on the other parts, I am not in parts

I also inlcude a link showing compressor change and what is invloved