vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I spoke to you yesterday re: my husbands lost fobs vw GTI. I

Customer Question

I spoke to you yesterday re: my husbands lost fobs for his vw GTI. I thought it was a 2010 but it is a 2012 and that seems to be the problem. In 2012 they changed the way they keyed the vehicle. Or so they have told us at Volkswagen Canada. seeing as how
this is something you do, Could you find out if this is true? The bill is still $5,600. If this is true for 2012 is it also true for 2013? Thank you for your help
Category: VW
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

No it is not true it does not matter if you have a 2010 or a 2015 you just need a key and have it programmed, it is the same all over North America, I think you need to find another dealer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seriously!! I will keep you posted because they are adamant about this. Have you programmed a key for a 2012 GTI? Or know of anyone who has? It will be interesting to hear your findings when you start asking around with your colleges. My husband said a lady from VW Canada contacted him and told him this. I searched the internet and found NO ONE with this issue. They are complaining about $200 and $500 bills for a key. I wish!
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

yeah we program keys all the time for 2012 and newer, I work at a dealer so the sales staff always loses keys to car and we program new ones weekly, I am not sure what it is called in Canada but down here we have a Volkswagen customer care number that contacts volkswagen of North America and they will get involved this dealer fishy, just google customer care for Volkswagen Canada