Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Got a 08 vw passat when we shut it off the cooling fans

Customer Question

got a 08 vw passat when we shut it off the cooling fans still run
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

Is the check engine light on? Any recent repairs or any recent accidents to the vehicle?

please let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check eng light did come on, and its over heating coolant level is good i changed the ect, but it still is over heating as i drive, normal driving is ok as soon as i speed up the temp goes up.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok you may have a thermostat issue or water pump issue or both. was this occuring before the ect was changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i changed the ect first but did not fix it, ran the car it was at 190 for a bit as i speeded up and put more on the engine the temp went up
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the ect you changed was it under the intake manifold or the one on the drivers side of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
driver side of eng
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are there 2
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok i needed to know which engine you have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cyl 2.0t
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok now here is the kicker the water pump is driven by the timing belt . the impeller is plastic so it may have cracked and now the impeller is not spinning. the other scenario is the thermostat is stuck closed causing it not to flow also . it depends how many miles is on the vehicle if over 100k then my sugesstion is to have the timing belt and water pump changed and also the thermostat assy changed too at the same time . if it has low mileage go after the thermostat first and when you have the thermostat assy out you can feel the impeller of the water pump in the hole to see if it spins or not . a mirror will be needed to inspect the impeller to make sure it is not cracked.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i would also recommend to replace the lower hose temp sensor also because it has a direct affect in the ecu .if one was reading not right the age of the other one is the same and may give you issues.

this one is hard to isolate which one it is the water pump or the thermostat. both will cause it to overheat .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 2 sensors, the heat came on and ran great, the ac worked, coolant level is good no leaks, top radiator hose is hotter then the lower does that mean anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could a bubble in the coolant do this.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

if the lower is ice cold then its a thermostat , water pump or both issue. i would say no because it was overheating before the sensor.