Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

2001 vw jetta air conditioner problem clutch ok has Freon

Customer Question

2001 vw jetta air conditioner problem clutch ok has Freon fan ok only blows hot air
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
talked to two mechanics today, one said the Freon is ok does not know , next mechanic said this problem has arisen several time can not find a solution
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Even though there telling you the Freon is okay we need to start with reading the system pressure. Normal pressure on a full system with the compressor off should be right at 100 to 110 PSI on the low side and equal on the high side. Normal pressure on a running system should be 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and 200 to 225 PSI on the high side. Post back with your pressure readings and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the pressures checked compressor on approximately 115 low and high side on running 45 on low side 235 on high side How does the heat effect the pressures or does nit? Thyamks Lawrence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no cooling Lawrence
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Lawrence,
Your running pressure are just a bit on the high side usually meaning you over charged. Heat will cause the pressure to read a bit higher but not affect any cooling if the cooling fans are running. If you place you hand on the low pressure hose ( larger one) at the compressor with the system on and running does it get cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No what next Lawrence
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the low side line is not getting cold with the compressor running then you likely have a failed compressor providing your system is not over charged. The pressure reading you have listed are on the high side, normal low side pressure should really not exceed 40 PSI at idle and high side pressure should not exceed 200 to 225 PSI. Dose the pressures drop when you run the engine RPM up at idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No how does one check to see if the compressor is bad. Seems to be running good. How can system be overcharged if no Freon has been added? Thanks Lawrence
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you need to do is install a set of gauges and read the pressure at idle and again while you bring the engine RPM up. The pressure should drop as you bring the RPM up and if it does not and there is no cooling then its likely a failing compressor.