Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

2003 jetta tdi manual need help

Customer Question

2003 jetta tdi manual need help
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
What exactly is the problem (including symptoms, parts checked or replaced etc..)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car will crank when cold but sounds different,smokes and won't take throttle(dies) When I disconnect exhaust pipe from egr cooler to egr the car will crank and and run somewhat normally(at lower speeds).The catalytic converter is not stopped up.Previously had maf code when car was still running shortly after cleaning egr valve put new maf sensor on ,now no codes.Problems may have started after I cleaned the egr/intake and left the gasket at cooler dislodged and melted hole in duct to turbo(now fixed).Car ran fine after cleaning intake for a week or two then began to lose power which progressed quickly into no run situation i am now experiencing.Compression is good and uniform.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
When you disconnect the exhaust from the EGR, do you blank it, or does it blow exhaust out in the open, and the engine operates normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
out in the open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that shortly before this poor running began I change most of the vac umn lines
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Was the turbo operation checked?
and most importantly, are you sure the catalytic converter is not clogged?
was the vacuum actuator on the turbocharger checked??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sure it was the cat but that is not it.Can the turbo plug up the exhaust?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The turbo can plug the exhaust, that would mostly be caused by the vacuum actuator on the turbocharger that controls the boost amount (controlling the amount of exhaust getting in the turbo).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the actuator with a mity vac.The turbo was replaced about 2 years ago
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I would check rotating the impeller at the turbo while at it for any resistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am presently unable to remove the downpipe
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time, and get back to me with the results...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the actuator moves under vacuum
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That is good... out of the way...
would you be able to check the rotation of the turbo impeller for resistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
removed the air boot from turbo and there was oil present and was spinning freely
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
And there was oil present.
Is it fresh oil, like from the turbo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A small amount was in the boot, motor oil
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
does it seem like fresh motor oil from a cracked turbo? or just some oil vapor build up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would call it normal not even a drip,however I did not remove the hose to intercooler.I can't stress enough how poorly it runs I would call it not running, however it will crank for a time or two when its cold then eventually won't crank.Its absolutely like a rag in the intake except for the strong smelling smoke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant rag in exhaust.Its got to be the turbo.With the egr cooler open it cranks and idles normally and will rev to 3000 then seems to be sort of choking .will not die even after 20 min.I have not driven it however
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rounded the top front nut on the downpipe.I will tackle it again when I return from vacation.I am confident the cat is not clogged now and I don't think it ever was
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like a turbo issue.
Check it out, get back to me with the results, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy