chris
chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader
31662608

Volkswagen Jetta: . Question regarding my 2009 VW. The abs

Customer Question

Hi. Question regarding my 2009 VW. The abs /traction control light has been coming on intermidantly. Recently, when driving at low speeds and after the car has been idle a while, there is a weird "shuddering" when I lightly brake or accelerate. The mechanic says the brakes are fine, but I don't feel safe.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The brakes stil work. There is just a weird hesitation when I brake at very low speeds almost like a "shutter" then the cars drives fine. The last three times I've driven, the car accelerated in a way that made me uncomfortable, like I didn't have control. This doesn't always happen. When I take it to the mechanic, the car behaves normally. It only has 55k miles. What gives?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
I can send you an additional services request if you would like to speak with someone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just send the response via text first please
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
I have to do it through the website
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean, can you respond here? In this text box. I'm confused.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
oh ok, does the light stay on or does it just go on and then off while driving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They go on and off. The ABS typically comes on every time I drive. And is typically joined by the anti traction light. Once in every 8 times I drive, the brake light comes on only for a minute, accompanied by 3 chimes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a variety of issues with lights coming on and off and I usually ignore them. But the brake shuddering is scary.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
there is a problem with abs module it is activating the abs when it should 2009's have an issue with the module going bad the module needs to be replaced for it to operate normally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The entire module? Should that affect the acceleration? I had a weird sensation with accelerating today. Also, how much does this typically cost?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
yes the shuddering is actually the module rapidly applying the brakes because it thinks the car is losing control, the module installed typically runs about 1000 dollars
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just ball park. I just had a vacuum pump re
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shuddering on acceleration too?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
yes also on acceleration that is the traction control operating when it shouldn't be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it cause weird halting during acceleration? The car isn't even paid off. Is it worth it to repair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But replacing the ABS would fix all of the issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it worth it to go to a DEALERSHIP? Or just my regular mechanic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I hope to get this repaired.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
yes the traction control will tell the engine to slow down to keep you in control as far as worth it? It is hard to say depends on your financial situation, a regular mechanic can do it if they have the right scan tool that can communicate with the abs system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again! I'll start doing some research.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
no problem good luck
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
Can you please remember to rate my service it is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge