Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2004 volkwagen Passat v6 4motion with 131,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 volkwagen Passat v6 4motion with 131,000 miles and sometimes when I drive down the road epc,traction control and check engine light comes on and the car starts to run ruff. And you can't drive it any more. And the codes are p0221, p0507,p0171,p0174.
My question is how can I fix it?
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** these codes, its usually a dirty throttle body, and cleaning it usually fixes all these codes, but ince cleaned, the throtlle body needs to relearn the idle and throttle settings, and this requires a scanner to do this, do you have a scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scanner. My mechanic and I cleaned the throttle body a few days ago. And it still happens. This far I've put in new plugs and wires, intake gaskets, cleaned out the breather hose. But the epc and tc light just came on after cleaning the throttle body
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
did you do the throttle relearn procedure after cleaning the throttle body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure, what exactly is that and what are the steps? And if that doesn't work what else could it be?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
you use the scanner to initial lize the throtle and relearn its position, a VAG scanner is required o do this, the light will not go off until this is done,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the throttle body out of adjustment cause a system too lean code?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it can and will, Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
you need more help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be at my guys shop soon. I will let you know how it goes.should I replaced the throttle position sensor?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No, first off relearn the throttle with the scanner,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that then a couple mins later it did the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the relearn process with the vac scanner it came up with these codes, 17987,17579,17967,17950 all pointing to the throttle body. Should I bite the bullet and replace it?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if the throttle body is clean, and the relearn was done, then yes, the next step is to replace the throttle body,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I ordered a new bosh throttle body it with be in tomorrow. Is there anything else I should do in the mean time?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Not really, just remember to relearn the throttle bdy once it is installed,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I have vag scanner, my mechanic and I are confused on how to adjust the throttle body. How exactly do you do it. For example you scan the car go to engine o1 then what?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
below is the procedure for using a VAG scanner,Tim
Turn the ignition on, but do not start the engine.
6. Clear all trouble codes.
7. Enter the Engine Address Word 01, Function 04 "Basic Settings".
8. The throttle basic settings are accomplished using one of 2 display groups. Display group 098 (in general, vehicles equipped with a throttle cable) and display group 060 (in general, full throttle by wire vehicles). Once the appropriate display group is entered, the adaptation process will begin. (NOTE: Entering the wrong display group will not start the adaptation process. Simply enter the other display group number).
9. Observe the 4th displayed field on the scan tool. It should read "ADP RUNS" and change to "ADP OK" after about 45 seconds (it may happen quicker than this, as well).
10. Once ADP OK is displayed, back out to the opening menu on the scan tool and turn the ignition off for 45 seconds.
11. Restart the vehicle normally. This completes the adaptation process. Test-drive the vehicle and verify that no codes reset and that the throttle operation is now normal.
Tech Tips:
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Please dont forget to rte me , so I can get credit for helping, you can always come back to this question and ask follow up questions at no charge, thanks,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trust me I will. We have to put the tb in on Monday or Tuesday I'll let you know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I cannot put throttlebody until Wednesday of this week so I will let you know then what happens thank you. Tyler
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Let me know,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the new throttle body in, and now there is no epc light or traction control light. But the check engine light came on and it read p0507, p0171, p0174 and there are no vac leaks confirmed via smoke test. So what could be the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw on the scanner there is an idle speed adjusted option. Should I adjust it? If so what should the value be?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Did you follow the steps above exactly to relearn it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
did you use the display group 98 or the display group 60 to relearn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Group 60
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
does your have the trhottle cable, of fly by wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. But what is the stock idle speed?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
YOU NEED TO KNOW IF IT HAS A THROTTLE CABLE, OR IS FLY BY WIRE, IF YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR RELEARNING, YOU USE THE GROUP 60 FOR FLY BY WIRE AND GROUP 98 FOR CABLE?????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's fly by wire
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, when you did the relearn, and you went into the grooup 60, did it change from "ADP RUN" to "ADP OK" ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did. What else do you think is the problem?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if it changed from run to ok, then it relearned it, did you clear the codes before relearnig it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I cleared the codes.