vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

Volkswagen Beetle: I need to pull the firewall insulation because

Customer Question

I need to pull the firewall insulation because of chemical smell. how to or where can I have it replaced
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!
Do you mean the crayon smell?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
The crayon smell comes from the floor insulation located under the carpet that is stuck on floor itself very hard to remove you will need to the seats and carpet and scrap it off and use another for of insulation like (dynamat) to put on the floor I have seen this done once but honestly took over 40 hours to do and it still had a little bit of that smell after this was done not as bad but there was still a little bit of smell there , once again this is very hard to do because it's stuck on the floor boards and very hard to remove . I hope this helps .
Please don't forget to provide positive feedback for the help I have provided we as experts rely on this for our family thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been documented that a majority of the smell comes from the firewall installation.
Any insight on removal
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Show me that documentation because Vw advised it was the floor insulation when we had the issue first back in 2000