Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5: My 2005.5 jetta 2.5 shut off on me 3

Customer Question

My 2005.5 jetta 2.5 shut off on me 3 times traveling home. The car would sputter like I was out of fuel, the rpm dropped to zero and everything stayed on (radio/lights). I would pull the car off the road and try to start it and it would, the battery light came on so initially I was thinking alternator but I think I can rule that out
The following day I started my car to go buy a vehicle for my wife and on the way there it did the same thing, except when I restarted it ,it sputtered out within 15 seconds. I had to get it towed home and when they dropped it off of the rollback it started again for 30 seconds or so? And ever since then that's the longest it will run.
I've had problems with my coils, I checked them.. I seen the half-assed job the mechanic did "repairing the wire" and all in all seems fine...
When my car dies I hear a air noise, seems to be coming from the mass. I can't get it to run long enough to check my oil cap for vacuum.
Could it be:
valve cover
fuel filt
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey no problem moose, just trying to get this car running. It is particularly urgent due to it being the nicest/safest for my so to be in.Thank you for your help sir
good day
It is not the battery or alternator, you can rule those out. I feel like its a fuel pressure issue. Can you check the fuel pressure. We need to see if the pump is good and the line is not restricted and the pump power and ground are good. Next we would need to monitor the cam and crank sensor signals. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read online that it could possibly be the crank positioning sensor, I THINK vw replaced that when I had my coil issue. I will check for sure when I find my invoice.Now as far as the fuel system, I can hear my fuel pump kicking on and I smell gas when it is cranking to start. Now this isn't good on my part but I don't ever recall replacing the fuel filter, since I've owned the car I put roughly 50,000 miles on it.
With that being said do you suggest starting there? When it sporadically starts if I hit the gas it sputters out so maybe it's not getting enough fuel through the filter but gets enough to idle for 30..45 seconds?
And would I need to rent something to test my fuel pressure?Thank you for your help sir
Andrew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can also upload a video if possible of the car running and sputtering out for you to see?
Most parts stores do have pressure gauges for rent. Yes I would like to go ahead and start ruling out things, to figure out what is to blame. You can attach a file though I do not feel like its needed in this case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get a chance to test the fuel pressure, but I did swap out the crank sensor and that didn't do it. I took a video and my car is making a hissing noise when I stop trying to crank it over.My next step will be trying to test the pressure
Super