vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2001 vw bug. Last summer the air conditioner quit

Customer Question

I have a 2001 vw bug. Last summer the air conditioner quit working and just needed to be charged. This summer it stopped working again, I havent taken it in yet but my husband who is pretty good with cars, does the maintenance on, and can usually fix a
good majority of my vw issues cant seem to trouble shoot this time. The air blows out but its not cold, it is full of free-on, and has been charged. My husband said to mention that it doesnt seem like the compressor is "engaging" when you turn on the air conditioner.
And from what we can tell, it sometimes does and sometimes doesnt, but in neither case does the air actually get cold in any way, the air blowing out is always the same. What could be the problem, and what else could my husband try or test to fix it without
taking it in to have it fixed? And would their be a significant different in cost for fixing this problem if my hubby fixes it himself versus if we took it in. Meaning is it worth the "hassle" to DIY or should it be taken in?
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.
It definitely is worth checking a few things before taking the car to a workshop.
Try supplying positive 12 volts from the battery to the A/C compressor, and have the blower fan at low speed, and recirculated air, windows closed, and check if getting cold air, or check the A/C freon low pressure line, as this one should get cold (freezing) after a few minutes.
Kindly get back to me with the results, so we confirm if the issue is freon or not.
If it's possible to check the low and high pressure of the A/C system while engaged (engaged forcefully by supplying power directly), it would also be great.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding. I will get this info to my hubby and he will try these suggestions right after work and I will let you know the outcome. :)
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Great!
I will be waiting for the results..