vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2002 VW Gulf Vin # ***** 2.8 motor.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 VW Gulf Vin # ***** 2.8 motor. The AC isn't blowing cold air. I have put gauges on the unit and the readings are; low pressure side is high, high pressure side is low? symptoms indicate a bad compressor. I have correctly filled
unit with 134A and run; no luck.I have tested continuity on compressor side of plug and have it,, however on other side of plug I only have 9.0 volts? can u help me?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure it sure it should be 12V..,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2002 VW Gulf Vin # ***** 2.8 motor. The AC isn't blowing cold air. I have put gauges on the unit and the readings are; low pressure side is high, high pressure side is low? symptoms indicate a bad compressor. I have correctly filled unit with 134A and run; no luck.I have tested continuity on compressor side of plug and have it,, however on other side of plug I only have 9.0 volts? can u help me?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** are the actual pressure readings, with the compressor engaged and at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
70-80 low side with only 250g of 134a installed.
30-40 high side. Compressor is not engaged.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, that is only 1/3 of the required refrigerant, what happens if you disconnect the compressor and jumper power and ground directly to the compressor? what do the pressure do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem seems electrical in nature to me. I'm pretty sure I got the unit correctly charged at one point. The electric I think is the problem.
I have continuity on the compressor side of plug that runs to compressor buy I only have 9.3 on the supply side of same plug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes on
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
this unit requires 750 grams of r134a, can you disconnect the plug at the compressor, and run a hot wire and ground to it, we need to be sure the clutch engages? and if it does, what do the high and low pressure do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K it does engage but I'll test it again with u. Give me a minute to get to the car n run the test. But let's assume it does run n has continuity in compressor wiring. The wires coming to compressor is only delivering
9V not the required 12V it needs. Where do I test from there? The limit switches?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if it DOES run, then we need to know what the pressure reading are when running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K give me a minute n I'll get them for u.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No worries, let me know,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By memory though it read 80 on low side n 40 on high side with only 1 can of 134A in it. Also FYI I have replaced the expansion valve with a new one.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Lets not assume, double check it to make sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K u got it
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
what did you find?