vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Beetle: 2000 beetle 1.8L coolant leak about half

Customer Question

2000 beetle 1.8L coolant leak about half dollar size after sitting. Passenger side Thoughts?
Pulled return line and have good flow to reservoir. Water pump i assume is good.
Category: VW
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello... welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.I can try to help with the areas for you to look for the leak.If the coolant on the ground is under the engine ,towards the passenger side ,I would take a good look for coolant running down in direction of the front/crankshaft pulley...most likely your water pump is leaking.If it is more to the center of the engine look down by the oil dip stick tube ,there are a few coolant hoses and thermostat that can also leak.If the leak (wet spot on the ground)is a little more towards the front , look at the bottom of the radiator for coolant residues.Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.