chris
chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader
31662608

Volkswagen jetta: have a problem with 2004 vw jetta 2.0. A/c

Customer Question

have a problem with 2004 vw jetta 2.0. A/c clutch wont kick on. no power to clutch
Category: VW
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
check the fuse box on top of the battery the 30 amp green fuses pull each one out and inspect the fuse box for any signs of melting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was not the problem, I did check those while I was waiting for your response. They appear to be clean as a whistle.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
check all the little fuses in the fuse panel inside of the car also I can't remember which one is for the a/c off the top of my head but one of the mini fuses controls it, also does the a/c button light up when you press it in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the button lights up. also, when using a test light on the power wire for the a/c clutch, there is just a quick pulse of power to the power lead, then nothing else. this happens every time I turn the power on at the a/c switch. is there a way to test the fan/a/c module? I understand that the module controls various things?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
can you send me the VIN?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
also do the engine fans turn on when the a/c button is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3VWSA69M44M147419. WHEN THE A/C IS TURNED ON, THE RIGHT SIDE(PASSENGER SIDE) FAN KICKS ON.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
ok, both fans should turn on so you have one bad fan and the compressor clutch is faulty, if the fan control module is turning on the fans the compressor should turn on also, you see the quick signal because once it sees the compressor clutch not turning on it stops sending the signal for engine load management purposes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, just to be sure, I'm guessing I should make sure that I have power at the left fan before going any further because this is the easiest test? If I have power there, then its a bad fan motor, If I have no power then I'm guessing its a bad relay?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
they get signal from the same place if one fan is on and the other is not the fan is bad 100% there is no relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a block relay that controls the fans and the a/c compressor clutch. It is located under the battery. It has 2 connectors, a 4 wire and a 14 wire. This is what alldata has.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
yes that is the fan control module, trust me you need a fan and a compressor clutch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I will let you know how I make out. I will get both hopefully tomorrow
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
ok sounds good