Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Volkswagen new beetle: would you like to ? this is a toughy No

Customer Question

would you like to ? this is a toughy
No start condition starts and dies security lock out Codes 17978 and IP code 01176
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
The 01176 code means that the key signal is too low, or wrong signal. did you try a spare key?
Did you check the coil around the ignition switch (which is the antenna for the immobilizer system) and its connections?
The other code: 17978 simply means that the ECM is locked by the immobilizer, so it only confirms the first code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we do not have a spare key to try, the coil around the key looks fine and the connections also. I am a technician with over 35 years experience. with that said I still feel im over looking something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting my scanner to communicate with the IP for data
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
how did you get the 01176 code if not communicating with the I/P?
which scanner are you using?
did you check the connectors at the back of the I/P?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for a phone call
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that due to shop noise, i will not be able to call... however, i can still work with you on this (if you wish to), or opt out.
Can you get back to me on these:
which scanner are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mistake, It will comm with IP it is the security module that it won.t comm with. And yes I did check all connections at IP and at Ignition, The scanner I use is a Snap on Verdict with euro package
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Having no spare key, so we're forced to believe that this key is good (or at least has the transponder chip), having checked the antenna coil (as the code indicates a low signal), and having checked the connectors at the I/P, the only thing left to do would be:
- try to reprogram the key (adapt the keys), however this would require a VW VAG scan tool
- if key reprogramming does not work, replace the I/P (with integrated immobilizer), and re adapt the new I/P to ECM and key.
I know this doesn't sound very good, as it rules out anything you can do with the Verdict, however, to be honnest, and to save you from a wild goose chase, this should be the way to go.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any way to bypass security if only for test purpose, I know they do it with remote start systems
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that there is no way to bypass the immobilizer.
When they do it with remote start, they have a working system (yours is malfunctioning), as they put the transponder chip under the plastic trim near the antenna coil. This way the system recognizes the correct chip and starts everytime, even if you try using a screwdriver. Not really a smart choice, but anyway, it would not work in this case. As the system is not detecting proper signal, either the key needs re adaptation, or the system needs resetting, or replacing (or fixing, as i would check: http://softelectronic.com , give them a call, as they might be able to fix your existing unit (I/P).
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found a guy that has the software to reprogram the keys, so I am going to try that and I will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help Billy
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome...
Hopefully, this works, so you wouldn't have to replace or fix the I/P.
Will be waiting for the results... Best of luck!
regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it took this long getting back to you. But it took this long to get a new key from the dealer and get it programed. That did take care of the problem. pretty pricey fix. This guy I had come in to reprogram charged me $310.00 to do one key! Oh well at least it is running again. Thanks again Billy for all your help I will keep you guys in mind if I run into another tough one. Have a great day Kevin
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your trust Kevin!
Best of luck!!!
cheers