vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Touareg 3.6 Sport: . I have just had the front

Customer Question

Hi. I have just had the front differential changed on my touareg 3.6 sport with the intention to solve a whining noise. Picked up the car this morning but the whining sound still exists. I feel I have spent £1800 for no good reason as the problem was not solved. So. What is this whining noise. Your view would be appreciated. William
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin. First a couple of questions . who diagnosed diff was at fault?When does noise occur? Does it change at all ?with steering? Braking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin,
I first got the AA to have a look and to listen to the problem. He deduced that it was not the prop shaft, not the wheels but something within the front transmission area and would benefit from a closer inspection up on a ramp. He also suggested my taking the car to a specialist who deals with auto transmission issues.I contacted my local Mr. Auto transmission who gave the car a test run with me present. He deduced the gears were working and sounded very well and declared he could not identify the problem until it went up on the ramp. I asked for this to be done. The result of this was that the bearings to the front differential were defective and casing was scared a bit. I was shown this. The essence of all this resulted in the front differential being changed. They claimed the noise has been reduced by about 50 per cent but to me it sound much the same.So, to answer your above questions
The noise occurs when driving. When driving at normal speed the noise sounds like a whining noise. When the speed is reduced and coming to a stop, say at a junction, the noise becomes more of a deepish humming sound.The sounds do not change with steering. The steering wheel does not have any impact whatsoever. I am alert to the steering wheel noise as in the past the steering wheel fluid was low and caused the sound to which I think you maybe referring.There is noise when breaking as such. The only noise which becomes apparent is the humming sound when the car is decelerating, that is, no acceleration when coming to a slow down and stop.Hope I have giving you helpful answers and look forward to hearing from you.Thanks again Kevin
Best Regards
William
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi KevinDo you require any additional information or action from my side.
Best Regards
William
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay William I've had a family emergency and have just got home autos are not my speciality so I will opt out to allow someone with more knowledge to assist you sorry for the wait
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Sirs
I am somewhat concerned to learn that Kevin is not a specialist for Autos. What does this mean?. does it mean he is not a specialist in relation to Automatic Transmission or, Automobiles, such as my vehicle.Regards
William
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi William its Kevin again sorry I didn't make that very clean I don't advise on automatic transmissions as they are a bit of a specialist thing on their own anything else vw I'm your man I'm a master tech currently working at a vw specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for that, all is clear. I look forward to receiving communication from you preferred colleague in relation to my enquiry.Best Regards
William