vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Jetta GL: I have 02 VW Jetta Gl 2.0 with codes

Customer Question

Hello I have 02 VW Jetta Gl 2.0 with codes 16645,16651,16654,16648,17833,17525,17843
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.The first four codes are about injector circuits. A faulty coil pack would not cause this. The 17525 is the second o2 sensor heating circuit (short to ground), 17833 the tank vent valve circuit (short to ground), 17843 secondary air pump circuit (short to ground).A short to ground within the engine wiring loom would cause all these codes together. But first, which exact engine do you have (AVH or AZG?). And where these same codes present six months earlier, or other codes? besides the codes, are there any symptoms (hesitation, poor performance, no start, stalling...)?I would start by checking the ECM in plenum chamber (under the windshield, in engine bay), remove the connectors on it, check for any signs of water ingress (if found, clean the drain holes at the corners of the plenum chamber), clean the connectors and refit, making sure you have tight and clean contacts.Would you be able to proceed with this, and get back to me with the results (along with clarifications on the above questions) so we proceed accordingly.Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Billy,
I do not know what engine it is I had to get a used motor 2 years ago because the original motor blew up. Is there a tag some where I could look for to see?
So I removed the ECM Plenum chamber I checked the connectors all the connectors where perfect. The car is now running but I know it will happen again.Thank you for the help,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the car would not start. It ran good once it would start. But it would not start randomly.Sincerely,
Billy
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
In your case i would proceed with checking the engine wiring harness, as you are having a short to ground on multiple circuits, meaning some of the positive lines are touching the chassis, engine, etc...
The engine code should be carved on the front of the engine near the transmission joint. it should be AVH or AZG.
Does the problem seem to appear after rain, or car wash?
did you check the drain holes at the plenum chamber, making sure any water would be able to drain without accumulating?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle to get the factory wiring diagram to assist.thanks