gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Passat 4 Motion: Location of front Impact sensor.

Customer Question

Location of front Impact sensor. Recently had a slight accident and both front airbags deployed. I am not receiving a impact sensor code from VCDS only two codes in regards ***** ***** air bags and one for crash data stored. I can fix the airbag codes and the crash data stored as I already have the airbags and a new control module with matching part numbers. I want to know if this vehicle has a front impact sensor which I should replace or should I only worry about the front airbags and control module?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
The frontal impact sensor is a ramp type, built into the airbag module. The side impact sensors are separate, under each frot seat. So replacing the front bags and module should fix it, if the wiring is not damaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your informative response. I went ahead and replaced the airbags before the control module but the airbag codes did not clear. Would it be safe to assume that they will clear with the new air bag control module? I really don't want install the module to have the bags deploy 😅😅
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
The faults are "hard" stored in the module- any time airbags go off in any car, you MUST replace the module. And if the airbag light is on, and faults are stored, the system will not deploy unless there is a wire shorted somewhere (like, by driving screws through the body and accidentally hitting wires, or accident damage in the area of a harness)