John, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, VW master tech
20104412

Volkswagen Eurovan GL: I have a eurovan 2000. two days ago,

Customer Question

I have a eurovan 2000. two days ago, a few seconds after starting, the engine started misfiring. I have a scan gauge on the car, with which i can also scan codes. codes 1218 and 0306 appeared. the engine started running well after we got on the road, and we did approximately 100 miles on the highway.
two days later, engine started fine, however it started misfiring again. the codes, which i had cancelled reapeared, and the engine seems to be misfiring on cylinder #6.
I have already had one injector changed 40,000 miles ago. It cost me $2000. Am I in again for $2000. Injectors are very hard to reach on the eurovan.
Category: VW
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It's very common on Euro vans for the coil to fail. Sounds like when the vehicle gets warm the plastic is expanding causing a crack. A coil doesn't always have to fail in paired cylinders. The crack can form on and edge on cause the spark to go straight to ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it is the injector itself, not the wiring. I have to remove the whole intake manifold ($2000) to get to the injector?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Okay, but how do you know it's the injector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, that is the purpose of my inquiry. With the information I have sent already..code 1218, and 0306, does it tell us that it is an injector problem, or could it be the wiring to the injector. I have seen guys on internet doing tests on the injector wiring, etc however on the euro van you cannot even see the injectors. Is there an easy way ( without spending 8 hours to remove the intake manifold), to test if it is the injector?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you have wiring diagram and a lap scope. You can back probe the wires and see the wave/duty pattern
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
what did you find out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure of the logic behind the codes. Code 1218 indicated a short to B, and code 0306 indicated cyl. #6 missing.
I decided to tackle the simple things first...to check spark plug #6. Which means, for a euro van to remove part of the front body work, the two turning signal lights, to be able to tilt the radiator forward to be able to get to the front 3 spark plugs. I thus replaced the Bosch 3 prong platinum spark plug ( which made a weak yellow spark when tested) with an old one prong Bosch platinum, (probably the original spark plug) which I had on the shelf. Voila!...it missed a bit when I restarted it...but stopped missing when I revved it a bit, (it was throwing code 1218 sporadically for 1 or 2 minutes, and i was clearing the code with my scan gauge which is installed permanently) then stopped missing.We as a family did a 300 mile trip, and had to gun it to get to my son' s soccer game (75 mph). No missing, and eventually no more codes!
The question remains, why was I
Getting a code indicating a short of injector #6, and now it works?Usually these electrical problems do not fix themselves.Roger
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
First off I know about the traveling soccer. I didn't think it was an injector, I mean they do go out but not that often. The problem was the high quality spark plug you had in there. Bosch plate are the worst ones you can install. What happens is the ECM doesn't know what is making the vehicle misfiring. The spark plug wire has a set resistant in it. So to the ECM it can't be the coil so it has to be the injector glad everything worked out for you. If you don't mind can you rate me please so I can get paid