Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition: , My a/c stopped working.

Customer Question

Hi, My a/c stopped working. All fuses are ok and I changed the fan relay. Had my radiator replaced a few months prior and suspect they screwed something up in the process,Thinking it's my fans. Ideas?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the third time I've had this issue ,all resolved by replacing fuses. I'm guessing whatever was tripping the fuses finally burned out.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. which fuses were replaced ? on top of the batter the 3 green ones? .... can you explain further if you have the engine running and pressed the a/c switch on and if you look under the hood do the fans run? let me know!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand. My mechanic changed the first one and I don't recall which that was . I changed the last one which is #5 ,7.5 amp. The 3 green ones on the battery have never failed or have been replaced. The fans do not turn on when I press the ac button nor does the clutch engage. The system was working fine last I used it (2 weeks ago) So I am pretty confident the compressor works and the clutch engages.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
the first one is the big bolted fuse which is the alternator charging fuse . that was replaced ? was also the wire harness replaced also when that was replaced with the fuse box? can you take a pic of the fuse box on top of the battery so i can have a view of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. The only fuses that were replaced were in the interior fuse panel. Nothing on the battery was replaced. When I replaced the fan relay under the battery I did not change the wiring harness. Standby for images..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here we go
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok if you pull out the green fuses look at the blades are there any black marks on the blades of the fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing..all clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither fan comes on while the car idles in 92degree heat..I assume that's not right?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Ok on the drivers side there is a 3 prong connector which is connected to the radiator fan switch. Disconnect that and check if you have at least 2 powers at that connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wolfgang, where is this switch located? Are you talking about the relay that's under the battery or is it on the fan assembly itself?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
the switch is screwed in the radiator tank driver side!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir.. two present.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok if you take a jumper wire and from one of the powers go to the 3rd wire that does not have power and bridge the 2 together does the fan operate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my friend,they do not operate with jumper.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
follow the connector wiring down peel the wrap off inspect the wiring from there and see if there is any corrosion where the insulation has been punctured and gang green is showing . if so let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No visible damage to the cable or fans Wolfgang.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok then you have issues with the fans itself . you have stated that you have replaced the fan control module (relay) mounted on the frame rail under the battery . you have 12 volts on 2 of the 3 wires . by you taking one of the 12 volt wires and place to the ground wire should activate both fans but the fans do not operate so the fans needs to be replaced. note that is to start you may have other issues here too so that is a starting point . need the fans to cool the radiator so you do not overheat.