Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

VW Passat: on a 1992 VW Passat I need to put the R-12 back

Customer Question

on a 1992 VW Passat I need to put the R-12 back in---The 134 does not work properly. My question for the oil for the compressor which is the high---low---ports?
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** oil was used when you retrofitted it to r134?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know but with the 134 the fan runs and runs and then the battery goes dead. I want to put the R 12 back in...What brand is best---I think I need 40 ozs and 4 ozs of oil---mineral? Help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is not sure which is hi and low whatever for the oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just plain want to put the r12 back in...I can't drive my car in hot weather because the fan keeps running and kills the battery. The germans must have had a reason for r12 in their passat's.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
the low side is the largr fitting on the r-12, it will be in the larger line also, the smaller line is the hgh side, mineral oil is what you use in the r-12 system, so add about 4 ounces,and the r-12 charge is 42 ounces,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you recommend putting the R 12 back in my car? I really like my Passat and it is a 92 but only 98000 miles...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the R-12 works alot better in these, they do not take good to a retrofit, they dont get as cold and run higher head pressures, thats why the fan is constantly running,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
If you need more help with this, dont hesitate to ask, and Please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, you can always come back to this question and ask follow up questions at no charge,Thanks in advance,Tim