I. Silva
I. Silva, VW Technician
Experience:  auto mechanic
46707633

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: My check engine light is flashing on

Customer Question

My check engine light is flashing on my vw 2008 passat . It is sputtering and idling rough.
Category: VW
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using justanswer.When your check engine light flashes ,this is because of an engine misfiring ,most likely one or more of cylinders is not working properly.Spark plug, ignition coil or even a fuel injector can cause this problem.The right way to diagnostic this would be scanning the engine computer to find out which cylinder I not working ,the canner will give you a trouble code ....P0301 would be the cylinder number 1 ,in front of the engine.Good luck.Let me know what you find.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll get it checked out. One more thing about this, the only time the check engine light is flashing is when the car is accelerating. The car is also idling during this time. It stops (both the light flashing and the idling) when you reach your speed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've decided to rent a car for our vacation that we are leaving on today because of this. We are afraid to drive it a long distance. Do you think this is advisable? Thanks!
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,sorry for the wait...
Yes, definitely you made the right move , driving the vehicle when is misfiring can cause very expensive repairs ,like burning a cylinder valve or damage/melt your exhaust cat.
Like I said you will need to get it scanned to see which cylinder is not working properly and then replace the part.(most likely an ignition coil.
Good luck.
Let me know.
Please rate my answer if I have helped ,ask for additional info if needed.
Thank you very much and enjoy your vacation.