Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Volkswagen Tiguan SEL: , I got a Samsung galaxy 5 phone

Customer Question

Hello, I got a Samsung galaxy 5 phone and have a 2011 Tiguan. I never had problems with bluetooth phones but this has been a nightmare. It paired initially but would not download the full phone book. I tried the process over and over and now it will not pair at all. when i press "phone" on panel is says this operation is not available or something of that nature. when I press the phone symbol on the arm next to the steering wheel, "Samsung" comes up and I do the phone search and nothing happens. When I press the phone symbol above it says "phone visible for 3 minutes' but then it shuts off in a few seconds. I am on call at a hospital and have to be able to answer phone promptly. I do hope you can help. Thanks. Joan
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joan and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.First get to the phone' bluetooth settings, paired devices, and delete the "volkswagen" which is the system in the vehicle. Then proceed as following (which might be familiar):1. Switch on the Bluetooth-enabled cellular phone and the vehicle’s ignition and make it visible on the S5. (This makes the Bluetooth “visible” on the vehicle. You must pair the system andphone within the three minutes it remains visible.)2. Activate the Bluetooth feature in the phone and initiate a search for Bluetooth devices or audio enhancements.3. Select ‘VOLKSWAGEN’4. Enter the Bluetooth pass code ‘0000’ on the phone. (On some phones, you will need to confirm the connection separately.)5. Optional: To allow the phone and Bluetooth to connect automatically, set the Bluetooth system as an “authorized device” in the phone’s Bluetooth menu.6. The Bluetooth system is now paired with the phone and ready for use. The pass code is not needed to connect the devices again. Kindly check this, and get back to me with the results. Regards,Billy
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
PS: how many names from the phone book is it downloading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy, one problem is that the volkswagen that was originally paired is no longer visible on the phone. I believe I already erased it.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,So with ignition on, you get "no phones connected" on the car display, but if you search using the telephone, you still cannot find the VW bluetooth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes Billy, that's correct. And when I push the button that allows bluetooth search for the next 3 minutes it goes off in a few seconds and then over the steering wheel says "samsung'. When I push cancel it starts searching and after a minute or 2 nothing happens. It then says no phone is connected.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,In this case, the samsung seems to be paired still. That is why i asked you to delete the VW from the samsung's paired devices.However, since the system is stuck, a hard reset would be the way to go.Remove the box under the seat (the bluetooth module), disconnect the plug for a minute or so, reconnect. All the time having ignition off. And once you reconnect, turn ignition on, and pair the phone again (but make sure the phone paired devices are deleted as well).Kindly get back to me with your results, or if further assistance is needed.Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Billy. I will try that tomorrow and let you know.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time Joan, and your most welcome...
I will be waiting for the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we did that and nothing has changed. When the bluetooth was working I could hit a button and it would remain visible for 3 minutes until it paired with the phone. Now it comes on for a second and then off. My phone is visible and says it is pairing but nothing happens.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joan,
This seems to be a problem with the VW bluetooth module. Would you be able to try another phone just to confirm, that the issue is not the S5?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try that with another phone.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That would be great.... waiting for the results..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy. Used my husbands IPhone with same results.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joan,
In this case the bluetooth system on your vehicle needs reset. This is done using a VAGCOM or VCDS tool, available to VW dealers and specialists.
If the reset doesn't work (the problem persists) then the bluetooth module requires replacing.
Most of the times, on this model, a reset will sort the problem.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I not fix it myself?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If you have a VAGCOM scan tool, then you can access the module, reset it.
Try connecting, and if this doesn't work, you will need to replace the module, and then code it (with the VAGCOM), and you should be good to go.
It's not difficult, it just requires this scan tool.
Regards,
Billy