Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Volkswagen cabrio: I have a 99 cabrio and replaced the timeing

Customer Question

I have a 99 cabrio and replaced the timeing belt ,water pump and distributor and the check engion light keeps comeing on with the code for the cam sensor
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
What is the exact code you are getting?
Are there any other symptoms, rough start, hesitation etc..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0341 camshaft position sensor a cirouit range/performance B1 confirmed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no runs great but slight miss when ideling
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to check the sensor circuit? (i will supply the details, and first, check the connector for any loose or dirty contacts given the slight miss at idle):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzWFlPY3NuSmRRMWs/view?usp=sharing
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed so we proceed as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok checked it out every thing is good. the first time I start it after eraseing code it does not come on the 2nd time I start it the code comes up
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Do you still have the old distributor? was it working correctly, without problems before replacing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I still have it and it was working good it was just the code comeing up
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
So you have the code coming up with the old and new distributors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Then this most likely is caused by the wiring.
The camshaft sensor has three wires. The positive (15, from ignition switch, is shared by the oxygen sensor heater and the speed sensor (this would be the one i suspect the most), it should be a red/black wire.
The other, a brown/black wire that gets ground.
And the green/white wire gives the signal to engine control unit at pin 44.
One of these wires, or connectors is not tight, causing signal loss and thus the code.
I would start by removing teh positive pin, and supplying positive directy from battery, if the problem is sorted, then we know which wiring and connectors we need to follow. If the problem persists, i would check the ground, and next the signal wire. The wires are connected, however, a loose contact, or dirt build up on the connectors would cause such low performance signal triggering the code.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I connect the + to the green &white wire the code stayed up with the red & black to the + and with the - to the brown &black
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The positive to the red and black wire (remove the red/white from connector and install a positive from battery directly instead of it).
The brown and black, should be to earth (-), you can follow it, or get a wire instead of this from battery negative.
The green and white goes to the ECU at pin 44. If the other two being replaced the problem persists, this wire need checking or replacing to the ECU connector.
All the relevant connectors need thorough inspection, as if any is a bit loose, with temperature change and vibration, they will mess with the signal and trigger the fault code.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had a chance to try that yet had to go out of town sorry
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time, and get back to me if further assistance is needed.Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every thing is clean and I checked the wire with ohm meter checks out good
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,The wire has continuity, if not the engine would not start, you would have no spark. The connectors however, or a stretch in the wiring have problems causing the poor signal (so we do have signal, but sometimes the signal is poor). It is the hardest to diagnose, however, since you are using the multimeter, i would plug it on both sides (distributor to ECM) and put on ohms, and start wiggling parts of the wiring bit by bit, till you see the resistance increase, or play, then this part of the wire or connector needs replacing.PS: i would make sure the grounds and power supply the same way, as they would also cause this.Regards,Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I just connect a wire from the distributor plug to the plug on the computer
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Yes you can (at least for test purposes)... but i would try the positive and the negative lines as well... (connect others or directly to battery... try the wires one by one, to see which is causing the fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I had to go out of town again just got back I tried to find the broken wire but could not. the cruse control don't work either does that have anything to do with it
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
We already know that the wire was not broken. You said you were going to connect a new wire (for testing), and checking the connector on the ECM.
If it's a wiring issue, the cruise control problem might be connected to this.