internal88
internal88, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working in the automotive industry for over 10 years. Diagnostic is my strength.
63512786

I really appreciate this. My son bought a Volkswagen Passat and we have had so many proble

Customer Question

I really appreciate this. My son bought a Volkswagen Passat and we have had so many problems! To make a long story a little shorter the dealership ended up replacing both rear control arms for us. My son brought the car home and noticed some rubbing, he drove it for a week or so and then waited till he got a job and took it in for work at our local Midas. The mechanic said he could not fix it. The brake pad was completely gone and because of that everything to do with the brake pad needed to be replaced. We took it to the dealership and they told us that the caliper was sticking. Umm. could this have something to do with the work that was done. It just seems odd he would notice it right after the work. Help please!
Category: VW
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - VW tech.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The control arm and brake caliper is two seperate components.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
There is no relationship with each other.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
A low brake pad and sticky caliper does make rubbing noise.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The dealer most likely did not even look at the caliper and brake.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend replacing the caliper and brake immediately for safety .
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions. Please rate me positive for the prompt service and support the U.S. auto tech. Thank you!