gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Eurovan MV: I am trying to remove and replace my

Customer Question

I am trying to remove and replace my oil pan from my 2003 Eurovan
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the bolts from the transmission bellhousing to the oil pan removed as well? And the bolts that are up in the holes near the bellhousing?If you have all the oil drained, you should be able to just smack the oil pan with a rubber mallet to knock it loose. The sealant does not "glue" the oil pan on as solidly as an american car (and thankfully is easier to clean up too)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pretty much a novice. Can I take pictures and send them?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
yes, you can attach pictures by clicking on the paperclip icon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still uploading, one image at a time. It would be so much better to be able to Facetime or Skype...but that doesn't appear to be an option. Yes though, I did remove the bell housing bolts.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Thinking about this now- there is no way to get the oil pan out without removing the right axle, as the CV joint is really bulky. So you need to remove the outer stub axle, and then remove that axle extension from the transmission across the back of the engine. It is held in with a C-clip in the transmission, so after you unbolt it you can slide it toward the right or tap it with a mallet to get it out.You may also need to remove the speedo drive off the end of the transaxle as well, though I would try to do it without removing that if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is totally loose now, but I have to slide it over somehow.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
If you disconnect the rear motor mount, you will be able to swing the motor forward which will help in getting the axle and extension out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you're going to have to send me some pictures or something...I don't know what you want me to do.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
You need to remove the right axle. Unbolt the axle nut, the bolts on the inside end of the axle, and then remove the bolts from the lower ball joint at the steering knuckle. Pivot the steering knuckle out so you can slide the axle out- or at least far enough out to be able to remove the axle extension from the transaxle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you just tell me in step by step order what you want me to do (with images?) I don't know where each of these items you are referring to are.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
I don't have pictures. Do you understand what I mean by the axle, and the axle extension?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you draw circles around the images I sent you so I can be sure? You can just Paint (MSFT) or Preview (Mac).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or perhaps you can edit this so I have these steps in order? I just extracted it from what you sent me...1. Unbolt the axle nut, the bolts on the inside end of the axle, and then remove the bolts from the lower ball joint at the steering knuckle.
2. Pivot the steering knuckle out so you can slide the axle out- or at least far enough out to be able to remove the axle extension from the transaxle.
3. Remove the outer stub axle
4. Remove the speedo drive off the end of the transaxle (?)
5. Remove axle extension from the transmission across the back of the engine. It is held in with a C-clip in the transmission
6. Disconnect the rear motor mount and swing the motor forward, pull the axle and extension out.I can probably look up images and find out where each item is.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
That's pretty much it, but change the order around a little-6- 1-2-3-5-4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That image you sent didn't work...
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
hmmm. It was just a copy of your picture with the axle and the axle extension labeled. It looks like you have the bolts removed from the inside end of the right axle, and the extension is unbolted from the bracket it it mounts to. You just need to remove them to get them out of the way.