vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Jetta: I tried to install aftermarket stereo in

Customer Question

I tried to install aftermarket stereo in my 2000 VW Jetta. It would not start after I did this so I reinstalled the factory stereo and used the code in radio booklet which was 1232 and it did not work. I called the Dealership and they gave me 0548. It still won't start. My clock and milage meter stays on even when it is off and key is out of car. The radio serial is VWZ4Z7A4080393 and the VIN is 3VWSA29M6YM035333. Any advice on a work around or getting the right code so I can start my car again?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. does the engine crank over or just clicks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turns over, no problem. Just won't start
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
if you pull spark plug is it wet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can't pull plug, don't have that special spark plug removal tool
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
do you have spark? when cranking?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
#4 is the easiest one to pull have to check this to make sure if you have spark and fuel
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
have you tried to crank vehicle for extended time 30 seconds with the gas pedal to the floor and held to the floor ?please let me know