vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Beetle Turbo S: I have a 2008 Beetle. The key won't

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Beetle. The key won't turn. the steering is locked. Happen before but after a few tries it turned. The methods attempted thus far: Depressing brakes-moving the slack in steering wheel, jiggling the key, ensuring it was in park, praying, and cussing. I am 30 miles from a dealership...they are not open today. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Paul
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. the issue at hand is that the ignition cylinder and column lock is freezing up the correction is replcament of both items the cylinder must be special ordered at vw dealer. no other way around it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang