vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5: I replaced the dual filament bulb in

Customer Question

I replaced the dual filament bulb in the taillight and it came on momentarily and went out.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Hello there .. if you look at the original bulb, it should be a single filament bulb and not a 1156 bulb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is one single filament but also a double filament. It is the double filament that was the original problem: no taillight. I put in the sylvania equivalent and the bulb worked momentarily and then stopped working. Wondering if the problem was the bulb or the circuit, I then tried the new sylvania bulb on the working taillight in the other side. Sure enough, the previously working taillight went on momentarily and went out. I put the original bulb from this side back in and now I have no taillight sat all. Is the sylvania equiv of a p21/5w not really an equivalent and how do I get the circuits working again?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
the module has a cut off if the amperage gets to high . are you using bulb #7528?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I used a Sylvania 7528 bulb. That's not what was in there though. Original was a GE part. Is the cut-off the fuse in the fuse box or is it somewhere else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I solved my problem. Turns out that both sylvania 7528 bulbs blew when I put them in either side of the car. Went to dealer and got oem part and these work fine. The first dealer was out of these bulbs, so that ought to tell you something.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
hey glad you got it handled!!