DBAutomotive
DBAutomotive, Master Certified Technician
Experience:  I believe I can be of assistance to VW clients. I have been exposed to most all makes and models in my 8 years of experience.
51780121

Volkswagen Beetle: AC clutch will not engage, turn key on ac

Customer Question

AC clutch will not engage, turn key on ac button lights up but no rad fans turn on at all... pressure on low port shows 80. Let the car run pretty hot and no fans turned on?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, when I press the ac button the car the engine does change in sound as if the compressor is working but the clutch isn't doing anything. It sounds like it's trying to kick in but nothing happening. As soon as I turn off the ac it goes back to a smooth idle??
Expert:  DBAutomotive replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Dan.I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds as though the A/C not working is your primary concern and you observed the fans do not seem to come on, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the fans have not come on at all...my biggest concern would be overheating somewhere..ac I can make do without for now but hope to sort out
Okay. The cooling fans on your vehicle are controlled via a coolant fan control unit. This module takes inputs from sensors and the engine control unit to control the fan's speed and function. To diagnose your fans would require someone with some electrical experience to see if your control unit is telling the fans to come on and if they are responding OR if they are not being told to turn on. If the latter is true then it would require further diagnosis to see if the fan control module is being told to turn them on and not responding OR if it is not getting the signal to actuate the fans. On cool days sometimes driving the vehicle is required before the fans will turn on. Also, just to be safe, I would check the coolant level to make sure you are not low on coolant. A low coolant level can allow for air bubbles in the cooling system and give inaccurate readings of coolant temperature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I ran power direct to each fan from the battery and got only the high speed to work on each one. Is there a way I can test the fan control unit without buying a new one to try? Is it the fcu that controls the speed on the fans?
Yes. The fan control unit controls the speed as well. You have verified that both fans work. Next would be to check the fuses. There is a fuse for the fan control unit, fuse 3, in the fuse bracket that is mounted on the battery. Fuse 8 in the fuse bracket mounted on the battery supplies power to the fans. The fan control module is also responsible for controlling the A/C compressor.
You would need access to the fan control unit and a wiring diagram schematic to pin out the wires going into and out of the fan control unit. If the module has all it needs to function I.E. -power, ground, signals to turn on the components and simply doesn't respond then it is a bad control unit.