gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen VW Beatle: My 2002 vw Beatle fails to start. Replaced

Customer Question

My 2002 vw Beatle fails to start. Replaced the battery with a new battery, had to charge the new battery. I didn't start it for two days and now it's not starting. The battery is dead again. Checked lights and other electrical functions and they are all on the off position.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
You likely have what is called a "parasitic draw", meaning that something is using power when it should be off. The only way to check for it is to hook up an amp meter in line to the battery, latch the doors and the hood latch, and activate the remote so the vehicle is locked up (doors open but latched so you can access the fuse panel) It takes about a minute or two for the system to "go to sleep" and at that time you should have a draw of .02A or less. If you have more, then you can pull fuses one at a time to see when the voltage drops, or you can use a meter at the fuses to see what the amperage draw is at each fuse.One common thing I have seen is if you have the factory 6 disc changer in the trunk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to recharge the battery again to do this tests ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer ASAP.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Yes- you need to have a good battery, in order for their to be current flow to detect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and where is the factory 6 disc charger in the trunk located ?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
If you have one, it is a large black box on the left hand side, that accepts a 6-CD cartridge. If you don't have it, then the connector for it will be tucked under the side trim carpet in that area.