vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Beetle TDI: I have a 1998 VW Beetle with the 1.9

Customer Question

I have a 1998 VW Beetle with the 1.9 TDI engine. I've just replaced the timing belt and when I tried to restart it, it will only run for a few seconds on starting fluid. There is fuel going to the injector pump, but virtually nothing at the injectors. We suspect a relay, but it is difficult to trace its location. Any ideas>
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard anything since posting my question and submitting my VISA number. I did this at 1:59pm, its 3:06 now. Whats up?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
hello there I'm Wolfgang here to assist. I just got on line so lets start with this . when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on in the dashboard? please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and no codes come up
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok the first thing is that the check engine light "must" light up when the key is turned on .i need you to look at the 109 relay under the dash . that 109 relay is the main power relay for the diesel computer . with that 109 relay not working correctly the vehicle will not start . since that relay has been an issue i need you to replace that relay with a new 109 relay then recheck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get back to you later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not with the car, but the check engine light does come on when the Jett is turned on and goes off when the engine starts momentary
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
but does the check engine light come back on after it stalls?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to send it to the shop as time was slipping away.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
understand!!