Jake
Jake, VW Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience with VW, Audi, BMW. Factory trained, former Shop Foreman, Service Manager
9204914

I have a 02 Passat that blows only cool or cold air no hot. checked

Customer Question

I have a 02 Passat that blows only cool or cold air no hot.
checked heater core and both lines heat up good and hot at same time. manual controls for heater. can move door manualy buy still no heat feels like door is working
Category: VW
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is a very common condition and is typically a plugged heater core. The hot water is available to the heater core, but the heater core has become restricted and can not heat the core as fast as the air passing over it can dissipate the heat into the discharge air. It's pretty easy to confirm this. Turn the heater fan off and drive the vehicle at operating temperature for several minutes to give the core a chance to heat up. Then turn the defroster a on to maximum heat on a low to medium fan setting if the discharge air is hot or warm at first but quickly loses its heat, the heater core is restricted. The best repair would be to have the heater core replaced. You can try back flushing the core with varied success. The heater cores get plugged because there is a substance like steel wool inside the tubes of the core. Minerals in the cooling system get trapped in the core because it acts like a filter ;o( If you first back flush the core with clean water, then fill the core with a 50% soloution of CLR (most grocery stores carry it) and let it soak for a half an hour or so before flushing again you will have better results. If you get a couple of lengths of clear hose and a bucket from the hardware store the process is simpler, and you can see all the contaminants flush out through the clear hose and into the bucket. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you! Jake
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is a very common condition and is typically a plugged heater core. The hot water is available to the heater core, but the heater core has become restricted and can not heat the core as fast as the air passing over it can dissipate the heat into the discharge air. It's pretty easy to confirm this. Turn the heater fan off and drive the vehicle at operating temperature for several minutes to give the core a chance to heat up. Then turn the defroster a on to maximum heat on a low to medium fan setting if the discharge air is hot or warm at first but quickly loses its heat, the heater core is restricted. The best repair would be to have the heater core replaced. You can try back flushing the core with varied success. The heater cores get plugged because there is a substance like steel wool inside the tubes of the core. Minerals in the cooling system get trapped in the core because it acts like a filter ;o( If you first back flush the core with clean water, then fill the core with a 50% solution of CLR (most grocery stores carry it) and let it soak for a half an hour or so before flushing again you will have better results. If you get a couple of lengths of clear hose and a bucket from the hardware store the process is simpler, and you can see all the contaminants flush out through the clear hose and into the bucket. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you! Jake
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswagen/96m3w-02-passat-blows-cool-cold-air-no-hot-checked.html#ixzz3fAOaH7dB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried all that ... it is flowing fine
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
What have you tried and what where the results?How do you know it is flowing fine? Thanks! Jake