gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Eurovan: I have a 2003 VW Eurovan with the Climatronic.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 VW Eurovan with the Climatronic. The fan stopped working a week ago. I had my mechanic check the codes for the climate control system and it said there was a footwell fan fault and a dash fan fault. I ordered a new fan and was going to install it but I checked the fan in the dash first by applying 12V. The fan worked. I checked the voltage of the 2 wires going to the fan and it read 11V when the fan was on high and lower as I lowered the fan setting on the climatronic. I attached the 2 wires for the current fan to the new fan I was going to install. The fan did not turn. The rear overhead fan does work and AC is coming out. What do I check next?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
There is a resistor under the dash area near the fan that the power goes through. You may have voltage to the fan but probably no real amperage.Also, make sure there are no other things that are not operational at the same time, as a bad circuit in the igniton switch will cause you to lose the HVAC fan, and your wipers at the same time, as well as a brake light on the dash (usually)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wipers work. The brake light is not on. I did replace the ignition switch last year. Can you give me a better idea where to find the resister and is there a way to tell if it is bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I found it. After jiggling relay 140,###-##-#### ***** fan came back on and the AC works again.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Interesting, as that should not matter when the A/C is not being used- or did it only fail when using the A/C?