Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Experience:  30-years experience auto and truck repair.
13630601

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: . Im Bill... I got a 2008 passat

Customer Question

Hi. Im Bill... I got a 2008 passat and a light with the letters EPC came on and it lost power
Is it safe to drive til i can get to a mechanic?
Category: VW
Expert:  Arench replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Bill my name is*****'m happy to offer my opinion about this. The EPC or electronic power control light indicates a fault in the drive by wire system.This is the system that includes the electronic throttle.There are many different probable faults that can make this light go on fromsomething as simple as a bad brake light switch or a broken wire connectoror something worse like a bad throttle body or failed engine computer. My opinion is to not drive the car because you could get stuck in a no-throttle situation. My only goal is for your satisfaction.If you feel I have not provided satisfactory service please speak up before rating as I can opt out.There are many great techs here that may be able to help.