gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T: , we have a 2011 jetta tdi. randomly

Customer Question

Hi, we have a 2011 jetta tdi. randomly the headlights and a/c fan blower motor will turn off. they eventually work again but it has nothing to do with turning off the car or resetting anything.
quite annoying as last night we were driving in the dark and the headlights went out!! drove home holding the high beam lever on. but also noticed a/c and blower motor had stopped functioning. then 10 minutes later, they worked again!
checked fuses f15 and f33. they look ok. is there a relay perhaps that's shot??
many many thanks
Dave
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
I'd scan it for faults, but it sounds like you have a bad ignition switch- it cuts out the accessory feed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if I agree. if it cut out the accessory feed then other accessories wouldn't work either. ie radio and everything else works fine. its just the headlights and the fan blower motor as far as i can tell that intermittently stop working. so some kind of ground or relay that is specific to these two items?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
nothing in common but the E-box
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
I've had them fail before and cut out one or both headlights, or even just one tail light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, what's the "e box"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse box assembly beside the battery under the hood needs replacing?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Yes, otherwise known as the "J519" module. The grounds for left and right lighting are separate, and the switching is done predominantly inside the e-box, electronically instead of using solid state relays.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. so looking online at the different forums the module seems to have had a lot of problems however not so much in the newer diesels as far as i can see. you think this is the culprit though instead of the ignition switch?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Just going by what I have seen previously. In earlier models the ignition switch has been a problem, but it always knocks out ALL the accessories like you said.