Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Golf 1985 1.6 diesel wont start after changed water pump hard

Customer Question

golf 1985 1.6 diesel wont start after changed water pump hard start the runs 5 sec dies
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Did you remove/replace the timing belt while at it?
did you double check the timing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I did ,spent extra time checking timing.made sure tdc on cam lobes #1 cylinder and also flywheel.was on mark with pointer/arrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lobes were up ..
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
did you check the marks on the injection pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no,I I missed that ..didnt make sure ,where are the marks ..?..guess I have to takes cover and belts off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
geez..any harm done by this fubar
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
There is a lock bolt to be used to make sure the pump is on time. You can use an Allen key that fits tightly... I will include the adjustment details:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzcVhBcnlVVmZUbjg/view?usp=sharing
PS: if only the injection pump is out of time, then no harm done (only the cam to crank issue might cause harm, and should not in your case).
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I am a novice when comes my 1.6 diesel..have wrenched on other vw's. I will take the valve cover off and remove cover on pulleys do I have to take timing belt off after getting it to TDC and valves on 1 cylinders w lobes up ?if so no problem just after doing this do I rotate pump pulley or loosen bolts on pump and rotate pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have guage also..and will do as the link stated ..just a bit dim on this as I tried to rotate pump and it didn't move
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The pump should be hard to rotate. If you rotate the pump, you will only disturb the injection timing, no further damage should be caused.
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/
Regards,
Billy