vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: I have a 1999 Passat 2.0L turbo.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Passat 2.0L turbo. The CCM was replaced a few months ago (was sitting in a pool of water due to a leak). Most recently both keys became "unmatched" with the car so we were following the directions to rematch. The issue is that the alarm does not go on/off with the key. The alarm is always on so when you try to turn the key in the ignition the alarm sounds. Is there a relay or something that needs to be replaced in order for the key (not remote) to be able to turn on/off the alarm?
Category: VW
Expert:  mike2765 replied 1 year ago.
hello im mike. the keys are not matched to the alarm. the ccm just reads the switch in the door. so you most likely have a bad door lock. when you put the key in the door, the cylinder turns the switch in the door lock that shuts off the alarm. you can try using the key hole that opens the trunk to disarm the alarm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, Thanks for the response... I did try the passenger door but didn't try the trunk. I think that that this will now enable me to rematch the remotes. A quick follow up question: Is the passenger side and driver side linked as far as the switch to turn on/off the alarm or are they separate? Reason being is that I just had the CCM replaced and want to know if this is something that the dealership should have picked up or tied to the CCM or something different.Thanks,
Fran
Expert:  mike2765 replied 1 year ago.
YES THE DOORS AND TRUNK ARE ALL LINKED TO THE CCM. ANY OF THE KEY CYLINDERS SHOULD DISARM THE ALARM, WHEN THE CCM WAS REPLACED THE DEALER SHOULD HAVE PROGRAMMED THE REMOTES TO THE NEW CCM.