vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: sure my coolant fan isn't kicking on

Customer Question

sure my coolant fan isn't kicking on and the engine is heating up when climbing or AC is on
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears my coolant fan is not turning on and the engine is heating up when climbing hills, engine working hard. Coolant level light comes on but reservoir shows OK. Maybe it needs burped but that doesn't appear to be the root problem. Owners manual says check fna fuses (I think they must mean relays becuase my owners manual doesn't address these).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also - Temperature hangs at 200F when driving normal speeds/interstate.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Hello there I'm Wolfgang here to assist. does the temp gage sit right in the middle or does the temp needle goes over the middle? is there any check engine light on in the dash? please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light light. Temp gage sits in the middle except when climbing, ac is on.
Maybe a thermo switch is bad or relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does go over the middle - a few times it climbed to 260 before pulling over to let it cool.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
there is a great chance you will need cooling fans. the big fan controls also the smaller fan . when the a/c is on the fans should run . a scan test with a scanner will be needed to verify this if the fuse is ok. i do need a vin # ***** look at the wiring diagram.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN# ***** I did check power to the low left fan switch and there was power. I tried jumping to see if either the high or low fan would kick on and they wouldn't. I turned on the AC with engine on and neither fan would kick on.PS - I'm a part time do it yourselfer but no pro.Thanks for the help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS - How much would they charge to change out a cooling fan? parts and labor - just wondering if i should do it myself or pay.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
its a 3 hr job and please use factory fans no aftermarket!!!! its between 800-950 job parts and labor