Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

Volkswagen Touareg: , I'm having trouble with my 2004

Customer Question

Hello, I'm having trouble with my 2004 v8 Touareg. Car will not start or turn over. A red sign saying steering defective workshop! Originally came on. Stereo and lights turn on but windshield wipers and turn signals do not. Could this be the steering control module? Please let me know what you think
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
On this model, the most common cause for such a problem would be the control module mounted on the steering column (right behind the steering wheel) being faulty or having a loose connector.
However, to make sure, i would hook a scan tool, and check the stored fault codes, as these should confirm this problem. Have you checked the fault codes, and if yes, what codes did you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to scan it once. the only thing it pulled up was a tire pressure issue. The scanner was not a VCDS License
with HEX-USB+CAN Interface
(All VAG, 1995-Current Model Year;
Unlimited # ***** VINs) scanner which I was told is the can I need in order to obtain such codes. Unfortunately, I live in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and no mechanic, here on Island, has the proper tools or knowledge on how to work on a Volkswagen. So that is why I am asking you your professional opinion because I am going to have to do this myself.If I do go ahead a buy the VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface (All VAG, 1995-Current Model Year; Unlimited # ***** VINs) will I be able to scan even through the Touareg doesn't turn over?Is the control column module fairly easy to install?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
With the VCDS and ignition on (you need to turn ignition on, and make sure it is on from the instrument cluster lighting up), you should be able to get the codes for this.
Before replacing the module, sometimes the problem is just the connectors loose... so tightening these should clear the issue.
Unfortunately, i cannot say that this will be easy (it might be however), as the the steering wheel, and airbag will require removing, before removing the trim (two plastic parts covering the steering column around the wiper controls etc..). And VW electronics are by no way easy to diagnose or fix, complicated as they are.
Whatever your decision, i will be waiting for your findings, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's is the thing though. The instrument cluster doesn't light up. Only the display screen comes on to show that the drive side door is open when entering and then the "steering defective workshop!" Message.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the fuses in plenum chamber (under the windshield, accessible from engine bay, where the wiper motor is)?
Just trying to check everything, so we pinpoint the culprit by elimination...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have not. I don't even know where it is or how to access it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you are saying the Electric Steering fuse missing isn't a problem?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
It would not hurt to put a fuse in the missing place... But there's no reason for a fuse to be missing (some fuse places are optional not for all models).. You can put a fuse in the blank spot.. and then check for any blown fuses:
Open the hood, remove the plastic cover under the windshield, and you should access the fuse and relay box on the left side... check for any blown fuses...
Kindly get back to me with your findings on those, so we proceed accordingly...
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what tools are needed to disemble the steering wheel or get into the plenum?Is there a tool kit in the Touareg somewhere?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Before disassembling the steering, get to the plenum chamber... there should only be clippers that snap off by pulling (a plastic wedge, flathead screwdriver should do).
Again, we're in the process of elimination, as i'm trying to save you some money by parts at random. Usually, using a VCDS, you should be able to clear the fault code (caused by the steering module, more specifically the steering lock actuator), and the vehicle will start right up.
Regards,
Billy