mike2765
mike2765, VW Technician
Experience:  Certified VW technician with 10 years of dealership experience
76743883

Volkswagen Touareg: , my name is ***** ***** Touareg v8

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** Touareg v8 air suspension. 85k miles. I am hearing a squealing (like a belt) usually at speeds above 40. The pitch decreases with speed but the volume doesn't necessarily decrease. Had to have A/c compressor replaced recently and thought this was problem but it didn't fix it. The noise kind of "wobbles" as I'm driving. It is not a grinding sound that would indicate a bad bearing. It is frequent but intermittent . Cannot replicate for mechanic. When it starts, it is abrupt, almost like a switch turned it on
Category: VW
Expert:  mike2765 replied 1 year ago.
hello im mike. this noise is most likely from the rear drive shaft center support bearing. i have had this complaint on several touaregs. the rear drive shaft is usually the culprit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir, I have had the drive shaft bearing checked before and it's good. are there any other things you can suggest.
Expert:  mike2765 replied 1 year ago.
THAN ITS POSSIBLY THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL, BUT I HAVE ONLY SEEN THAT A COUPLE TIMES. EVERY TIME I HAVE A COMPLAINT ON A TOUAREG OF A SQUEALING NOISE WHILE DRIVING. REPLACING THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT FIXES THE PROBLEM EVERY TIME. IF YOU HAVE NEVER REPLACED THE REAR DRIVESHAFT THAN I WOULD RECOMMEND REPLACING IT. OTHER THAN THAT, YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO PIN POINT THE NOISE USING CHASSIS EARS.