peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

Volkswagen Beetle: have a 2005 new beetle 2.0 convertible.

Customer Question

have a 2005 new beetle 2.0 convertible. in September of 2004 after driving the car for about an hour the car would shut off, it would start back and then shut off again. VW dealership replaced the battery, and then said the code showed an internal transmission error. The car sat not driven since then (would crank it up occasionally and let it run) Drove the car 3 days last week, no problems maybe a total of 15 miles. there had been about 1/2 a tank of gas in there, I filled it up. did not drive it over the weekend. tried to start it on Monday it will crank but not start. sorry to be so long winded but I figured the more info you had the better
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was sept of 2014 not 2004
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One common component I have seen fail and cause this issue here and can be intermittent like this here is the crank position sensor itself.I have seen this act up intermittently and cause a no start and in some cases can cause a stall out as well.This can be difficult to diagnose in some cases as usually it won't set a fault code for itself failing.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was September of 2014 not 2004.The Crank Position Sensor was replaced about 2 years ago, could that still be the problem?
Crank sensor failure is common and I have seen the sensor fail soon after install like this here so I wouldn't rule it out.I have installed several crank sensors for this type of fault here before.
The other component I have seen act up intermittently that can cause this is the electronic ignition switch itself.
The only way to be sure on which is the cause is for the vehicle to be acting up when tested.
Thanks Pete