Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

Volkswagen: I have a 2008 Volkswagen 2.0 GTI We were

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2008 Volkswagen 2.0 GTI We were just on the highway under full throttle the car check engine light blink like 10 times and turned off it through a cylinder three misfire code now the car is ticking very loud at idle and through acceleration there is a distinct taking noise coming from the motor kind of sounds like it timing chain but it has a belt what do you think?
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer.To me it would seem as there is some mechanical fault on cylinder #3 now as you state the loud clicking noise and the light that came on. The light was switch on as a result the cam timing was out of time with the crank shaft causing a timing fault. The camshaft follower must be sticking and cause the out of time fault. This is also where the noise comes from now.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou it kinda seems like it's coming from the left of the motor when looking at the car other than that the car seems to be running the same maybe a tiny bit sluggishrr also I scan the car and was looking at the knock sensor voltages cylinder one the voltage was .8 and cylinders 2,3,4 were exactly at 1.82
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for getting back to me. Yes the voltage must be all the same. I think the only thing to do know will be to remove the tappet cover and inspect the camshaft followers.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took a quick look at the car and we noticed when we remove the oil Cap it has alot of vacuum on it ?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan,
All engines does have blow by pressure, it's very hard to tell that why when the blow by is to much. The only way to see when the rings do not work as they should is when the exhaust are wet with oil. For me if when you take the tappet cover off you will be able too see where the fault with the camshaft follower is. This is not the first one that I have had I have done several of these cases. So trust me when I say the camshaft followers do get stuck. All you will have to do is to take the camshaft out and clean the sleeve that the follower is operating in and it should be fine.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a vacuum not so much pressure would that be the same case?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan,
The way the new breathing systems of the engines work it will suck air into the engine when one open the oil filler cap. It does not work like with the old engines. So one can no longer judge it like that.
Greetings,
Martin.