Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist
84635724

Volkswagen jetta: i have a 2004 jetta. the check engine light

Customer Question

i have a 2004 jetta. the check engine light came on, so i went to the volkswagen dealership and was told that i need a new catalytic (sp) converter and was given a $2500.00 estimate, which i cannot afford. when i left, the check engine light was gone, but about a month later it came on again. when i went to have the required emission test, it failed, with a fault code: P0544 - exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit bank 1. do i really need a new catalytic converter, or can they simply replace the sensor circuit. i'm not really confident about the dealership, because the temperature control lights were off, and i was told that it needed a new light bulb. they replaced the bulb, but two weeks later the light went off again. this has happened twice now. i appreciate any advice or information that you can give me. thank you. rosa
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin. It is unlikely you would get an exhaust temp sensor circuit failure if cat was failing so I would say you need to replace temp sensor . Also 2500 for a cat seems really expensive