vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Beetle: I have a 1998 Beetle. It has had an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Beetle. It has had an intermittent miss for some time now. Yesterday I filled the tank with gas and started out of town. I had cruise set at 60. All of a sudden, it lost power. Wouldn't stay running again after that. Now it will idle for a bit then die and dies instantly when you hit the accelerator pedal. Also, there is a smell almost like a burning plastic bag.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Make sure your battery connections are tight, and inspect under the hood for any sign of melted insulation on wiring to the battery area fuses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything looks good in the engine compartment. The smells seems more from the back or middle of the car.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
If you have had misfiring for some time, it's possible that your catalyst is melted down internally, blocking your exhaust flow. Often it will heat up glowing hot, and melt stuff around it.