vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Eurovan: , I am driving a vw eurovan/ Rialto RV.

Customer Question

Hi, I am driving a vw eurovan/ Rialto RV. I stopped on the side of the high way to check the map and turned off the car. When I restarted it, I smelled a strong electrical melting smell. I turned it off and it immediately disappeared. I tried again and the same thing happened. I called Aaa and there was no service so I tried to move it again and this time there was no smell for the 15 minutes of driving I did to find a place to park safely. I have a vague recollection that the first time I started it, I had not put the car in park, but it started anyways. No over heating, check engine lights or anything (those are the usual problems)
Category: VW
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
First, the Van should only start when in Park or in Neutral (P, or N).
If you had it on Neutral, then it would be perfectly normal.
As for the smell, kindly get back to me with the model year, so i can check the details (for any recalls, bulletins or other), and i will also have the exact items and locations for checking.
Regards,
Billy