vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen jetta: i unhooked my battery to reset check engine

Customer Question

i unhooked my battery to reset check engine light and now my car wont start.. doesnt crank over
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
what year is your Jetta?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned terminals, tightened screws very confused
lights come on..... fan works..... tried jumping from another car.....checked fuses in car... dont know how to check fuses on top of battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have any further recommendations ?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Pull the terminal off the starter, and see if you have a signal there when you turn the key to "start". If you do, then the starter is bad, just a coincidence. If you don't even have a signal, then something electrical is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will look at starter next... when I pill off wire to starter, how do I test the signal ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, since we just removed cables to battery... I'm thinking we might have jostled a wire loose that sits on top of battery.... three or four connections are housed there
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
There are strip fuses there, and they do feed the starter from the positive terminal. SO there is a large red wire to the starter that should have battery voltage all the time- and the signal wire, which plugs on (the larger cable is held with a 13mm nut) The signal wire you test with a meter, or a test light, to see if you get battery power when you turn the switch to "Start"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to see if those fuses are good ?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
They will crack or melt if blown. You can also use a meter or test light to check for battery voltage at both sides of any fuse to make sure it is good.