vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2003 VW Jetta Issue with brakes

Customer Question

I am having a problem with the brakes in a 2003 Jetta 2.0L.

The drivers side rear brake line has no fluid. I first loosened the bleeding screw (nipple) in order to bleed the brakes, no fluid came out despite pumping, both with car on and off. I have unscrewed the brake line from the caliper and this does not have fluid either.

All other brake lines appear to have fluid. I cannot find a leak in the system.

I recently replaced the brakes in this car (few weeks ago), had no issue bleeding this or any caliper then, brakes were fine. This issue arose after I had the tires changed about 3 days ago, car was barely safe to drive home.

I am at a loss as to what might be causing this. All other lines appear to work fine. I replaced the master cylinder in hope that might solve this problem but to no avail. (I did bleed the master cylinder)

Does this car have a proportioning valve or a different part that might be causing this?

I noticed that the brake pedal makes a clicking or snapping sound when pressed about 2/3 of the way down. I know that this sound did not occur previously (it is not the sound of the shift lock releasing, it sounds like a fuse almost).

Thank you for your help.

Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
when you were pumping the fluid out every time you pushed down did you close the bleeder screw then allow the pedal to raise?please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No we did not we left the tube in the jar that collected fluid so that no air could go back in. The problem seems to be in the ABS hydraulic module. Do you think this is a failure that can be reset via CAN or do you think the module will need to be replaced?

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
please do this . you will need 2 people one in the car pushing the brake pedal and the other to open and close the bleedergo to the side where is no fluid coming out and open the bleeder and then push the pedal down to the floor and then close the bleeder and then have the person let off of the brake pedal and then repeat the process.does any fluid come out after about 5 to 7 cycles?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done what you said. I tried about 20 times but no fluid came out. Afterwards I took the brake line out of the ABS module and discovered (as I have noticed previously that there was no fluid in this line at all, all other lines have fluid in them. Should I try to reset it using VAG-COM or should I just replace the ABS module?

The only issue I have taking the ABS module completely off is the power cable. What is the trick to removing that from the module?

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok do the feed lines to the abs unit have fluid coming out ? there are 2 from the master cylinder to the abs unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they do, as mentioned previously I also replaced the master cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The lines going in both have fluid, the lines coming out all do except the driver's side rear... so the problem is happening in the abs module... as asked previously:

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
if you look at there is a slide catch where it needs to be pulled to get the connector off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I mentioned previously that the pedal makes a distinct clicking noise when pressed 50%. I replaced the ABS module completely but this clicking noise persists. The ABS light appears and I read error codes 00668 and 00290.

Today the radio randomly turned off while I was using the brakes. It seems reasonable that there is a short circuit or some other sort of electrical issue. Do you have any ideas?