vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My power steering is not working when vehicle is not moving

Customer Question

My power steering is not working when vehicle is not moving or at slow speeds. I turn the wheel slightly right or left and hear a whining noise. Does this indicate my power steering pump is bad and needs replaced?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
hello . did you check the p/s fluid level . the reservoir has a green cap . it takes special p/s fluid that is green and available at the vw dealer or a really good import part store!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wolfgang.My power steering fluid is at max level.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added correct Pentosan CHF11 fluid is indicated by VW.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay there were communication issues with the site. now need to check for leaks but also and leaks that can draw air into the system that will cause the pump to cavitate. please really check hoses and reservoir for cracks. does the reservoir overflows if run for long period of time?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to replace a line which may have introduced air into the system. Should I try to bleed the system by turning back and forth or is it too late and pump ruined? Should the engine be running when you bleed the system?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
check the fluid level when engine off before starting and top off as needed to the filll line then start the car turn to lock to lock and then shut it down then recheck level after 10 minutes