vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5: How can I test to see if the fan control

Customer Question

How can I test to see if the fan control is to blame for overheating. the fan does not run, even if the AC is turned on (hot outside, also).
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! I'm Wolfgang ! I will try to assist you as much as I can.
ok first thing i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle to pull up the correct wiring diagram
second have you used vag com to scan for faults ?
please let me know
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3VWRZ71K98M103154. Not familiar with bag com to scan for faults. is this just a code reader?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
code readers will work but there are some instances where the factory specific codes are not recognized by the reader that is why VAG COM is the scan tool of choice because it can read all codes from all modules . cooling fans are controlled by 2 modules (ecm and the air con module)
let me see on the wiring diagram to assist. note we may need a scan tool (FYI)
lets try this first
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
first with the key on fuse f24 make sure the fuse is good and have power to the fuse on both legs
this is the underhood box 10a fuse
let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will need to check fuse out at home in evening. Hopefully, it can be something simple (and inexpensive)
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
just let me know!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked and all fuses were good. I checked with voltmeter and also pulled and reinstalled all fuses, both under the hood and in dash. It was hot out, and when the AC was turned on, neither fan turned on, but later when I used a block of wood to move the fan, it did turn on. While it was on, the AC worked properly (the smaller fan never turned on, only the larger of the two). I shut the AC off, the fan shut off, even though the temp gage showed normal op temps (190°). the fan just doesn't start reliably, and I was trying to see if the fan required replacement, or some other "trigger" component.