vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2008 vw rabbit wont start after rain. Checked all fuses

Customer Question

2008 vw rabbit wont start after rain. Checked all fuses their good. Battery is good. its turning over very strong. Not sure i can hear the fuel pump turning on after turning the key (but not turning far enough to start) has been an intermittent problem.
Seems to follow rain. Happened 1 other time about 2 weeks ago
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Do you have trouble codes stored in the engine control module ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure have you scanned the ecm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have a scanner- I have not scanned the ecm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This a third vehicle so though i might need it sooner than later it is not making me miss work. I would prefer to take my time and fix it correctly and maybe learn something along the way. If i where to purchase a scanner for this vehicle, should it be vw specific or would it scan my 2002 honda and 1999 land cruiser too. I've been thinking about buying one anyways.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holy Crap! 3998 ratings! 5 Stars! Thats inpressive!
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the feedback on the ratings , have been doing this for a feedback , before you got get a scan tool which will work with any car so it will work out for your vehicle , do you know if you have spark coming out of the coil to the spark plugs ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if i have spark, But i have a meter.
I'm at work right now and the rabbit is @ a friends house. I have never checked for spark on this vehicle. Just tell me what to do and i will give it a try.
I am an electronics technician by trade and have been working on cars in my own garage for 19 years. I am by no means a master but im not afraid to try anything you would like. If im uncomfortable i will let you know.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
You listed your golf has a 1.8 motor not the 2.5 , 5 cylinder correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no- Its the 2.5 5 cylinder. Auto
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok when you turn the key to the forward position does the check engine light come on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, and my wife said the check engine light comes on from time to time- she also said it usually runs just fine when the light is on or off. Does the engine light flash any codes?
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
The next thing I will need you to do is see if you can get a scan tool from a friend or you can borrow one from the auto parts store to be able to scan the vehicle and see which Faults you have stored in the ecm .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get on that now.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no scanner yet. Went and tried it again any ways. Was able to start it but only when revving to 4k. Thats as high as it would go. wouldn't stay running if i tried to go lower. Couldn't get home like that though. well, It might actually be a pretty good cover when i got pulled over. I digress.this only happened 2 times in like 15 minutes. 75% of the unsuccessful attempts i would hear random clicking behind the instrument cluster. And when it was clicking the tach (just the tach) would start to move up and then fall back down till another click. i dont expect any progress based on these symptoms, i just wanted to document in the hopes that it will help us in combination with the codes.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the info will see when you know the faults
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question is closed- We didnt do anything to resolve my problem yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a scanner- should be in today- i will plug it in tonight when i get home and tell you what i find out.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
No problem i will await the results thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holy cow!
P0725- power train engine speed input circuit
P0322- power train ignition/ distributor engine speed input circuit no signal
P2127- powertrain throttle pedal position sensor/ swittch e circuit low input
P0102- mass or volume air flow circuit low inputShe started up and ran for about 5 minutes (estimated) and then stopped running/ wouldnt start again.
I have the battery on a charger. it is the original.
i purchased a PLX Devices Kiwi 2 scanner and i am using the purchased version of Torque on my android.
If there is anything i can do to provide you with better data or trouble shooting please let me know.
if there is an obd2 app that you like better that you want me to purchase i would be glad to do so.Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok the main fault you have to worry about is fault # ***** which is related to a faulty crank sensor causing you issue replace the crank sensor located by the bell housing held on by 2 allen head bolts and this should take care of your fault and no start issue . Just erase the other faults you should be ok no need for another app or scan tool . I hope this helps.PLEASE DONT FORGET TO PROVIDE POSITIVE FEEDBACK FOR THE HELP PROVIDED WE AS EXPERTS RELY ON THIS FEEDBACK FOR OUR FAMILY THANK YOU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey man - if this fixes my wifes car - I'm a freakin hero- i owe you more than good feedback- you deserve a beer!is there a way to leave you a tip (if this works)?
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you can come back with a tip I believe after the feedback for now can you please provide feedback I can still help you on the issue after the feedback we as experts rely for the feedback thank you again